Job Title: Packer and Weigher – Cook Side
Department: Cook Room
Reports To: Cook Room Supervisor
Assigned under the general supervision of the Cook Room Supervisor to be responsible for the final packaging of cooked meat products. Sealed pouches are placed in boxes in preparation of final packaging. There are 2 packaging stations, located side by side at the end of the process line.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Required to wear approved safety shoes or boots.
- Required to reach above shoulder level to get stack of 5-6 cardboard boxes used in final packaging
- Required to reach at shoulder level to get bag of cooked meat, weighing 1-6 lbs, put pouch(es) into box, and close box.
- Occasionally required to use force to close box securely by picking up box and pushing it against rail to close, then use hand held tape gun to tape box closed
- Rotate daily with other positions in department
- Must make sure that the proper box is being used for the product that is being produced at the time.
- Will check that the correct date is on the box and the bag.
- Must make sure the correct label is on the box.
- Must make sure the correct number of bags is in the box as specified in the specifications.
- Will always be sure the weights are as accurate as possible.
- Will check weights on scales every 15 minutes to assure all is well.
- Will help open bags if there is a problem with weights and/or seals.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to maintain concentration while performing tasks over period of time.
- Ability to coordinate actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Know how to collect and identify essential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally with others.
- Ability to follow instructions given by Supervisor
- Regular attendance at work and punctuality are essential job functions.
- Ability to work in a safe manner, be considerate of other employees’ safety, and wears all personal protective equipment (PPE) as required.
- Ability to initiate self to assist where needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
On the job training is provided.
Ability to read, write and communicate in English and Spanish is helpful, but not required
Communicates with internal customers to resolve all issues or problems which require resourcefulness, tact and discretion. Applies broad knowledge of products and services when communicating with individuals outside the immediate work area/department.
Works with significant deadlines that can result in a disruption to projects, service or products that impact operational cost and/or revenue.
Ability to apply disciplined knowledge to analyze and resolve problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
CERTIFICATE, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: N/A
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required to pack and close ~ 25-70 boxes/hour
- Must stand at least 2.5 – 3 hours at a time before getting a 30-minute break
- Required to reach above shoulder level 10-15 times/hour to get boxes
- Walks/stands on even concrete surface, which may at times be slippery due to marinates, water, and other liquids associated with process
- May be exposed to strong odors such as marinates from seasoned meat
Full time regular position that works Monday through Friday, generally 8 hours per day, with minimal overtime. Travel is not required for this position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works 100% of time in climate-controlled environment of 440F- 480F.