Job Title: Maintenance Supervisor
Back up: Sustaining Engineering Manager
Reports To: Sustaining Engineering Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Assigned under the general supervision of the Sustaining Engineering Manager to oversee maintenance mechanics on repairs of all plant equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs set ups and safety checks on production equipment
- Verify purchase requisitions on parts needed for work order and repairs
- Work with Planner concerning scheduled PM on processing equipment
- Ability to communicate with vendors regarding equipment repair or support
- Assign activities of workers within department and coordinate with other departments
- Train new workers in department; monitor performance of existing workers
- Ability to troubleshoot and detect common electrical problems on equipment to include electric motors, contactors, relays, safety circuits, and a variety of machine switches and make repairs as necessary
- Must have experience on high voltage AC (480v ,220, 120), low control voltage AC (24V, 12V,5V), muti volts, AC/DC, muti amps AC/DC
- Must understand PLC’s frequency controls, direct current devices, temperature controls and transducer’s
- Knowledge of plumbing and pipefitting such as threading and sweating pipes
- Knowledge of troubleshooting and repairs hydraulic and pneumatic equipment/systems using schematics and visual observation
- Knowledge of welding and cutting using Tig, Mig, Acetylene, Plasma
- Responsible for production equipment repair, troubleshooting, facilities upkeep, new projects, equipment installation, labor costs, repair costs and parts inventory
- Supervising/directing team members in maintenance functions to keep the production process running effectively and within established guidelines to meet customer expectations and continuously improve operations/systems
- Work on special projects
- Other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervise hourly employees for maintenance department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Significant in leading maintenance teams.
- Significant record of achievement with lean manufacturing support, continuous improvement, and breakdown reduction.
- Ability to maintain concentration while performing tasks over period-of- time.
- Ability to coordinate actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Know how to collect and identify essential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally with others.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products including Word, Excel and Outlook.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or High School Equivalence Certificate preferred. 5+ years of experience in manufacturing maintenance environment preferred or project engineering, preferably in the food processing and consumer packaged goods industries. 2+ years previous experience with the daily management of equipment preventative maintenance, strong analytical, problem solving, and mechanical and electrical troubleshooting, managerial, inter-personal, leadership role and project management skills are a must
Ability to read, write and communicate in English.
Communicates with internal and external customers to resolve all issues or problems which require resourcefulness, tact and discretion. Applies broad knowledge of products and services when communicating with individuals outside the immediate work area/department.
Works with significant deadlines that can result in a disruption to projects, service or products that impact operational cost and/or revenue.
Ability to apply disciplined knowledge to analyze and resolve problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
CERTIFICATE, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Uses both hands to perform necessary repairs and installations
- Perform physical activities that require moving one’s whole body, such as lifting, stooping, crawl, squat, kneel, bending from waist, turning, and twisting
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Must be able to distinguish colors to safely identify electrical wiring
- Walks/stands on even concrete surface, which may at times be slippery due to marinates, water, and other liquids associated with the production process
- Able to lift 50-70lbs. unassisted
Able to work assigned shift(s) work frequent overtime. Must be on call for 24/7 emergencies. Travel not required for this position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The office environment is typically climate controlled of 68ºF to 72ºF and clean, with normal air contaminants, such as dust, typically found in an office environment.
- The indoor production environment is climate-controlled of 40ºF to 45ºF with regular exposure to prolonged noise.
- Work outside in all weather conditions.
While in the production area, all employees are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to include hair and beard nets, rubber soled shoes, smocks, hearing protection and hard hats.